Dr Peter Thompson DC, DO, MSc, DAc
I would like to introduce myself as the Osteopath and Chiropractor at Core Naturopathics.
- 30 years in private practice.
- 7 years senior clinician, senior examiner, lecturer and tutor, Department of Chiropractic, Macquarie University.
- Lecturer in Anatomy and Physiology, NSW TAFE.
- Research: Effects of spinal manipulation. WorkCover study: Neck pain in office workers.
- Published peer reviewed research on the use of neck manipulation in the management of migraine and visual field problems. I have presented these finding to, amongst others, an international conference of Neuro-Opthalmologists at Trinity College, Dublin, 1998.
- Recently written a chapter entitled “Therapeutic Stretching” for a medical text book in publication by Elsevier.
Spinal and peripheral joint manipulation and mobilization, Acupuncture, soft tissue massage and visceral manipulation (VM) are my principal therapeutic techniques.
Scope of Practice:
1. Restoration of biomechanical efficiency of the body is a major goal of therapy.
- Musculo-skeletal conditions such as pain and dysfunction in any spinal region
- Scar release deep tissue massage
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Epicondylitis
- Occupational Overuse injuries
- Rotator cuff lesions
- Hiatus Hernia, Micturition urgency, Irritable bowel Syndrome
- Myo-fascial Syndromes involving the myo-fascial mechanical link system of the body
- Many hip, knee, ankle/foot conditions respond well to Chiropractic/Osteopathic care
- Poor neuro-muscular motor patterns, repetitive or poorly executed activities lead to strain, injury and hypertrophic changes in the body. These hypertrophic changes in connective tissue and muscle contribute to degradation of efficient motor patterns in the neuro-muscular system as a whole. This places further mechanical loading on tissues. Chiropractic/Osteopathy can help to restore efficient motor patterning
- Spinal disc lesions respond well to appropriately applied manipulative decompression
2. Nervous System.
The potential effect of Chiropractic/Osteopathic manipulative and reflex procedures on a wide variety of conditions is being increasingly well documented. Treatment directed at removing noxious stimuli to the Autonomic Nervous System is an area of research in which I have been personally involved. By influencing the ANS it is possible to affect the distribution of blood throughout the body. This mitigates, for example, the symptoms of migraine and the micro-trauma to muscle and connective tissue associated with repetition strain injuries. Also, it has been shown that restoring adequate blood perfusion to the brain improves neuron function and visceral function, thereby promoting health.