Thinking of doing a detox, or are currently already completing our Core Detox or other Health program?
Detox your skin as well as your diet. Why?
Detoxing not only what we put into our bodies as food, but also what we put onto our bodies everyday, for example, sunscreens, deodorant matters too. Many products contain toxic ingredients that can impede on the bodies natural ability to maintain homeostasis. Also when you consider that we absorb into our bloodstream approximately 64% of what we put onto our skin, then its mighty darn important!
But what exactly is it that we should be avoiding when it comes to detoxing our skincare?
Many of our everyday personal care products we may have been using for years could contain some pretty nasty ingredients that we are still unaware of!
Ingredients that are even found in many claimed ‘natural ‘, ‘ organic’ (if its not certified), even baby care products, like baby wipes and baby wash that claim to be gentle enough for baby could actually be very problematic to their health. That actually scares me to be honest!
Especially when we consider how often we use these products on the skin every day, like sunscreens, deodorants, washes, shampoos etc etc!
The following is not an exhaustive list, but shows 20 nasty ingredients found in many personal care products, from toothpaste to shaving creams and bubble baths to lipsticks!
Please do your own investigating to find out more about toxic ingredients in not only your skin care products but household cleaning products as well.
Become more shopper wise, and label savvy.
It’s your right to know what you’re buying!
20 Toxic ingredients to avoid when buying skin and cosmetic products:
- Coal Tar: A known carcinogen banned in the EU, but still used in North America. Used in dry skin treatments, anti-lice and anti-dandruff shampoos, also listed as a colour plus number, i.e. FD&C Red No. 6.
- DEA/TEA/MEA: Suspected carcinogens used as emulsifiers and foaming agents for shampoos, body washes, soaps.
- Ethoxylated surfactants and 1,4-dioxane: Never listed because it’s a by-product made from adding carcinogenic ethylene oxide to make other chemicals less harsh. The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has found 1,4-dioxane in 57 percent of baby washes in the U.S. Avoid any ingredients containing the letters “eth.”
- Formaldehyde: Probable carcinogen and irritant found in nail products, hair dye, fake eyelash adhesives, shampoos. Banned in the EU.
- Fragrance/Parfum: A catchall for hidden chemicals, such as phthalates. Fragrance is connected to headaches, dizziness, asthma, and allergies.
- Hydroquinone: Used for lightening skin. Banned in the UK, rated most toxic on the EWG’s Skin Deep database, and linked to cancer and reproductive toxicity.
- Lead: Known carcinogen found in lipstick and hair dye, but never listed because it’s a contaminant, not an ingredient.
- Mercury: Known allergen that impairs brain development. Found in mascara and some eyedrops.
- Mineral oil: By-product of petroleum that’s used in baby oil, moisturizers, styling gels. It creates a film that impairs the skin’s ability to release toxins.
- Oxybenzone: Active ingredient in chemical sunscreens that accumulates in fatty tissues and is linked to allergies, hormone disruption, cellular damage, low birth weight.
- Parabens: Used as preservatives, found in many products. Linked to cancer, endocrine disruption, reproductive toxicity.
- Paraphenylenediamine (PPD): Used in hair products and dyes, but toxic to skin and immune system.
- Phthalates: Plasticizers banned in the EU and California in children’s toys, but present in many fragrances, perfumes, deodorants, lotions. Linked to endocrine disruption, liver/kidney/lung damage, cancer.
- Placental extract: Used in some skin and hair products, but linked to endocrine disruption.
- Polyethylene glycol (PEG): Penetration enhancer used in many products, it’s often contaminated with 1,4-dioxane and ethylene oxide, both known carcinogens.
- Silicone-derived emollients: Used to make a product feel soft, these don’t biodegrade, and also prevent skin from breathing. Linked to tumour growth and skin irritation.
- Sodium lauryl (ether) sulfate (SLS, SLES): A former industrial degreaser now used to make soap foamy, it’s absorbed into the body and irritates skin.
- Talc: Similar to asbestos in composition, it’s found in baby powder, eye shadow, blush, deodorant. Linked to ovarian cancer and respiratory problems.
- Toluene: Known to disrupt the immune and endocrine systems, and fetal development, it’s used in nail and hair products. Often hidden under fragrance.
- Triclosan: Found in antibacterial products, hand sanitizers, and deodorants, it is linked to cancer and endocrine disruption. Avoid the brand Microban.
If you aren’t already completing one of our Core Health programs, and are considering a detox, please give us a call. Also when it comes to skin and household products, choose 100% natural and certified organic wherever possible! Read the label and check its claims!!
Even look into making your own simple products. Its not as hard as you might think.
We have many programs that can help you, and guide you through a successful and manageable dietary detox program to make lasting lifestyle changes that can benefit both your inner and outer body now and forever!