This Fragrant Noodle Bowl is a great winter recipe to help boost the immune system and support the body when recovering from colds or the flu. The chicken bones boost the mineral content of the broth, and the chicken meat increases protein. For a vegetarian option – leave out the chicken. Add generous servings of greens and vegetables to supercharge the nutrient content.
1 Free range whole chicken
1 kg white onion
50g fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. fennel seeds
3 black cardamom pods (green cardamom also works)
3 star anise
5 whole cloves
½ tsp. black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp. coriander seeds
½ Tbsp. sea salt
6 cups / 1.5 liters water
1. Peel and roughly chop onions. Wash ginger and slice.
2. To the pot of water add chicken, all spices, onions, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil and let simmer for one hour or more with the lid on.
3. Take out the chicken and place on a plate. Strain broth through a sieve into another pot and discard all solids.
4. Pull the meat off the carcass and add back into the broth.
Noodle Bowl Suggested Ingredients
Noodles: soba or rice (cook according to package directions)
Greens: bok choy, spinach, swiss chard,
Cruciferous veggies: broccoli, romanesco, cauliflower, cabbage (raw or lightly steamed)
Other veg: mung bean sprouts, carrot, bell pepper, mushrooms
Garnishes: lime, toasted sesame seeds, Thai basil, spring onion, tamari
1. In very large bowls place some roughly chopped greens. Ladle in the hot broth, which will quickly wilt the greens.
2. Add noodles, all veggies and top with the garnishes.
This recipe is adapted from www.mynewroots.org